Established in 1859, Newcastle Grammar School is one of Newcastle's most historically significant schools.
The School has links to the earliest days of Anglican education in the city, beginning in 1816 when convict, Henry Wrensford, taught thirty-eight children in a small room in Christ Church, on the site of today's Cathedral.
Since its inception, the School has developed into one of the region's most notable, independent, co-educational and non-selective schools and remains a focus for many of the thousands of former students who have been educated here.
Newcastle Boys' Grammar School opened on the present site in 1859 in Berkeley House and operated until 1902. Newcastle Church of England Girls' Grammar School was officially opened on 22 July 1918 with an enrolment of fifty-six girls. The School was relocated to Morpeth from 7 June 1942 until some time in 1943.
The control and administration of the School was given by the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle to The Pittwater House Schools in 1976 until the end of 1991, and in 1978, boys were once again enrolled at the School.
In 1992 the School's administration was returned to Newcastle and Newcastle Grammar School is now governed by Newcastle Grammar School Limited, a non-profit Company limited by guarantee. Newcastle Grammar School maintains strong links with the Anglican Church. Today it is a leading independent school in the Hunter Valley Region.